Today I was going to ride my bike but it was raining so much I changed my mind. Just as well I had a fantastic book to read instead! I am reading The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell. This book is incredible – I read for a whole hour without stopping! I wanted to read this book because I read all of the How to Train Your Dragon books by the same author for my reading challenge last year and loved them.
I like when books are part of a series. For my P6 reading journey I’m reading all the Rick Riordan books. HE IS THE BEST AUTHOR IN THE HISTORY OF BEST AUTHORS! I got into his series about Percy Jackson, the demigod, after I read a sample chapter that came free in a copy of the kids’ newspaper First News. It was so gripping I just wanted to keep reading. The Rick Riordan mythology books are my favourite books ever, I can’t recommend them enough!
Since I was made Special Reading Ambassador by the First Minister, I have been working with Michelle at Largs Library to put up a display of my favourite books. My display had loads of Rick Riordan books on it at first but the last time I was in I noticed there were masses of gaps because they have been taken out! I’m glad other kids are reading my suggestions! I am also happy to see other children have given me suggestions of books to try.
When I did my P4 reading challenge I got really into the Harry Potter books after my big cousin, Lewis, told me I should try them. He was right, they were fantastic. I don’t think I would have tried them if he hadn’t recommended them as I didn’t like the look of them. I’m so glad he did!
Mostly I pick random books from the shelves at Largs Library. I usually go for adventure books and I love stories set in different countries. I loved all the Bear Grylls ones. I decided to try those because I liked watching Bear Grylls on TV. I recommend the Jack Stalwart books by Elizabeth Singer Hunt. I read them as e-books on my ipad after my dad downloaded a library app for me. I was just scrolling down loads of books when they jumped out at me. As soon as I finished one I downloaded the next. It was so easy! The Jack Stalwart books were my favourite books in P5.
I usually pick what I want to read myself and I know straight away if I’m going to like a book. Once I start a book I usually finish it as I ignore books that don’t grab my attention immediately. There’s no point, there are too many good books out there!
My Top 12
1. The Kane Chronicles: The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
2. The World of Norm May Produce Gas by Jonathan Meres
3. Jurassic World Junior Novel
4. Tom Gates Dog Zombies Rule (For Now…) by Liz Pichon
5. Way of The Wolf by Bear Grylls
6. Secrets of a Sun King by Emma Carroll
7. Secret Agent Jack Stalwart: The Deadly Race To Space by Elizabeth Singer Hunt
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
9. Surviving Mount Everest: An Interactive Extreme Sports Adventure by Blake Hoena
10. Minecraft: The Survivors’ Book of Secrets
11. Flight School by Nick Bernard
12. How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell