My name is Summer Mary Craig and I am 6 years old. I have really enjoyed books since I was a baby. My Mum and Dad have read to me every night and now I can read to them.
I have really enjoyed doing the First Minister's Reading Challenge. I have been able to select varied books from Christmas ones to the Harry Potter collection and my favourite books Rainbow Magic. My whole family has been a part of this challenge to help me - my Mum, Dad, Sister, Aunties, Granny and even my great Granny have listened to me reading books to them. I will always read books as I enjoy the different stories.
My top ten favourite books are:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam by Tracey Corderoy; illustrated by Steven Lenton
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson; illustrated by Axel Scheffler
- Horrid Hendry Gets Rich Quick by Francesca Simon; illustrated by Tony Ross
- Aliens Love Underpants by Ben Cont; illustrated by Claire Freedman
- Grumpy Badger's Christmas by Paul Bright; illustrated by Jane Chapman
- Little Red Riding Hood
- The Twits by Roald Dahl; illustrated by Quentin Blake
- Daddy's Sandwich by Pip Jones; illustrated by Laura Hughes
- The Wild Swans by Hans Christian Andersen
A Parent's Perspective
As a parent I think it's important to introduce books as early on as possible as it gives children a good start in their education and also gives me the one to one interaction with Summer. I was always read to as a young child and have done the same with my two daughters. Summer enjoys selecting different books each night or continuing with one of the bigger stories, she enjoys discussing the book afterwards. I am so proud of her and all her achievements and I'm so glad she enjoys to read books.
When the First Minister's Reading Challenge came out, Summer was so excited about it and I feel it has developed her reading. I think this is a fantastic challenge to have and there should be more like this to encourage and reward children for doing well.